2010 Finalists

Rick Walton

Lifetime Achievement Award

Susan Evans McCloud

2010 Whitney Award Finalists

Band of Sisters Blink of an Eye The Cross Gardener Finding Mercie Lucky Change
Annette Lyon Gregg Luke Jason Wright Blaine Yorgason Susan Law Corpany

Alma The Younger Oh Say Can You See? The Sheen on the Silk The Silence of God Trespass
H.B. Moore L.C. Lewis Anne Perry Gale Sears Sandra Grey

Courting Miss Lancaster Cross My Heart The Legend of Shannonderry Luck of the Draw Meg’s Melody
Sarah M. Eden Julie Wright Carol Warburton Rachael Renee Anderson Kaylee Baldwin

Cold as Ice Crossfire Murder by Design A Time to Die Wrong Number
Stephanie Black Traci Hunter Abramson Betsy Brannon Green Jeffrey S. Savage Rachelle J. Christensen

Imprints Mr. Monster Pathfinder The Scorch Trials The Way of Kings
Rachel Ann Nunes Dan Wells Orson Scott Card James Dashner Brandon Sanderson

Youth Fiction—Speculative

Fablehaven 5 Matched Paranormalcy The Forbidden Sea The Fourth Nephite
Brandon Mull Ally Condie Kiersten White Sheila Nielson Jeffrey S. Savage

Youth Fiction—General

Glimpse Missing In Action My Double Life The Healing Spell Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me
Carol Lynch Williams Dean Hughes Janette Rallison Kimberley Griffiths Little Kristen Chandler

No finalists are being announced for the two overall awards. Instead, the Whitney Academy can choose from any of the eligible finalists in any genre category. In other words, all of the novels listed above are in the running for Best Novel of the Year.

Likewise, any of the above finalists that meet the eligibility requirements for Best Novel by a New Author can be chosen for that award. This year, the eligible books are:

• Wrong Number, by Rachelle J. Christensen
  • The Forbidden Sea, by Sheila Nielson
  • Paranormalcy, by Kiersten White
  • Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me, by Kristen Chandler
  • Meg’s Melody, by Kaylee Baldwin

We will also be asking Academy voters to certify that they have read each of the books in the categories they are voting in. If, for example, a voters wants to vote for Best Romance, then the ballot will contain a checkbox asking the voter to certify that they’ve read all five novels in that category.

To vote for Best Novel of the Year, you must have read all of the finalists in all categories–all thirty five novels.

About the author: admin

22 comments to “2010 Finalists”

You can leave a reply or Trackback this post.

1. Emily M. - February 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm Reply

Congratulations to the finalists! I’m looking for the YA General finalists and not seeing them–am I missing something? Point me in the right direction, please!

2. LuAnn Staheli - February 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm Reply

Still missing the YA General Fiction as well. Are those coming soon?

3. LuAnn Staheli - February 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm Reply

Response from the committee RE missing Ya General: “We’re working on it…” Thanks, guys!

4. Tamara Hart Heiner - February 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm Reply

Awesome selection! I have no idea how you’re going to narrow it down!

5. Krista - February 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm Reply

Wow, what a wonderful list of books. Congratulations! Now to update my to-read list!

6. Emily M. - February 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm Reply

Thanks! Looks like I need to get reading…

7. T.J. - February 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm Reply

Five of the books nominated here are in my house. And I actually haven’t read them. I have read one of the books on here, though. Yay. Good thing I’m not voting. Feel bad for those Fantasy voters who haven’t read The Way of Kings.

8. jessica - February 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm Reply

What about the debut author finalists?

9. Sheila Staley - February 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm Reply

This is a great group of finalists! Congratulations!! Thanks to Josi and her awesome committee. I am excited to read the rest of the books I haven’t read yet.

10. Cheri Chesley - February 1, 2011 at 6:18 pm Reply

Huge congrats to the finalists! Already have my favorites, but I don’t envy the judges their duties. :)

11. Rachael Renee Anderson - February 1, 2011 at 9:23 pm Reply

A million thank yous to the Whitney committee and all the judges who’ve invested so much time into this. You guys are great!

12. Julie Wright - February 1, 2011 at 11:02 pm Reply

Thanks Josi and committee for all your work. I can’t even imagine what a huge job this is and am so grateful you’ve taken on this task. Doing great guys!

13. Jared Garrett - February 2, 2011 at 10:59 am Reply

I just don’t get how the voting members can select ONE winner from the speculative category. Seems impossible.

14. Donna Hatch - February 2, 2011 at 11:23 am Reply

Congratulations to all the finalists. Looks like very stiff competition in every category. Good luck to all.

15. Katie Parker - February 2, 2011 at 11:26 am Reply

Congratulations to all the finalists! This looks like an exciting bunch of books. Is there a printable list posted like there was last year?

16. Sandra Brand - February 2, 2011 at 1:45 pm Reply

I’m so glad to see Carol Warburton’s ‘The Legend of Shannonderry’ as a finalist in the Romance category. It is an excellent book; and, one that I really enjoyed reading!!! I look forward to Ms. Warburton’s next offering.

I also loved Sandra Grey’s three book series that included “Trespass’. As I finished one, I couldn’t wait to read the next one!

Thank you Whitney Award staff for recognizing both of these wonderful authors!

17. Jonathan - February 6, 2011 at 1:37 pm Reply

BETSY BRANNON GREEN!!!! It’s her year! She’s got to win, she’s too good not to…

18. Johnna - April 6, 2011 at 10:22 pm Reply

Just picked up as Kindle ebooks: Way of Kings (a couple weeks ago), Kiss of a Stranger, Luck of the Draw, Wolves Boys and Other things that might kill me, My Double Life.

19. Scott Wright - May 8, 2011 at 2:37 pm Reply

Congratulations to all the winner. This was a great set of book. Top of the top.